The “TEGO” License Plate Retractor system can be installed by anyone with reasonable mechanical skills and simple hand tools. The LPR Unit easily connects directly to the battery or any 12volt power source.
Extending LPR Unit for positioning:
1. Connect the red (+) and black (-) leads to the vehicle’s battery.
2. Activate the LPR Unit using the one touch key fob or the mobile APP until LPR Unit is fully extended and plate backing is vertical.
3. Once extended disconnect leads from the battery.
1. Raise the front end of the vehicle. The use of ramps or hydraulic jack will work fine. (**When using any type of hydraulic jack please support vehicle with jack stands for safety)
2. Determining where you are going to mount the LPR Unit – Place the fully extended LPR Unit, or LPR Mounting Template cutout supplied with the installation kit, centered under the front of the vehicle in the proposed location. With license plate mount extended, and in upright position against bottom of front bumper, you will be able to mark where you will need to drill the mounting holes. If the LPR Unit needs to be offset to accommodate a spoiler and or obstruction, this is the time to determine if the use of the supplied nylon spacers or brackets should be used.
3. NOTE: Due to the variety of different front end vehicle designs, there are several various mounting configurations outlined below to assist in determining the best way of mounting the LPR Unit.
4. Mounting flush: When the bottom of the bumper is flush with the bottom of the vehicle’s front splashguard, you can easily mount the LPR Unit directly to the vehicle without the use of any of the offset hardware provided in the installation kit.
5. Mounting to vehicles with extended lip spoilers or any other offset: Some vehicles will have a lower front bumper or spoiler that will cause you to position the LPR Unit to clear during the opening cycle. You will have to determine what works best for your application from the hardware kit.
- Up to 1″ offset – Nylon spacers should be used
- Over 1″ offset – Steel drop brackets should be used
6. Once you have determined the best way to mount the LPR Unit, you can now start marking the vehicle’s splashguard for mounting points.
a. Finding center line – It is recommended to mark a center line on the vehicle’s splashguard to make sure the back end of the LPR Unit is also correctly centered.
b. Next use the LPR Template or extended LPR Unit to mark where you will have to drill mounting hardware.
c. If the front mounting tabs of LPR Unit don’t meet up with splashguard pan or the bottom of the bumper, you will need to use the nylon spacers or steel drop brackets to better level off the LPR Unit. NOTE: On the below application, the steel drop bracket was bent so the acquired offset could be achieved.
d. Mounting the LPR Unit – Depending on the best application available to you, the installation hardware kit supplies you with (4) individual LP-0016 Rubber Well Nuts or the (2) pre-measured LP-0028 Drop Down Mounting Brackets.
e. Once you have marked the mounting point holes on the splashguard, if possible, it is recommended to remove the splashguard cover prior to drilling holes to avoid any accidental damage which may be caused by inadvertently drilling into any of the vehicle’s major components such as radiators, oil/transmission coolers, or intercoolers. Using a 1/2″ drill bit, drill holes in all marked locations. (BE VERY CAREFUL THAT THAT YOU DO NOT DRILL INTO ANY ELECTRICAL, ENGINE, TRANSMISSION LINES / COOLERS OR COOLING SYSTEM) then insert the LP-0016 Rubber Well Nuts, these inserts work well for thicker polyurethane bumpers and splashguards, OR
f. Due to thinner splashguards, or sometimes obstructions directly behind the splashguard, you will need to use the pre-measured LP-0028 Drop Down Mounting Bracket. Once the mounting holes are marked on the splashguard, remove the splashguard and using a 5/16″ drill bit, drill holes in all marked locations. Now place the pre-measured LP-0028 Drop Down Mounting Bracket down from inside splashguard or bumper.
g. Align the LPR Unit onto the splashguard, then install using the mounting bolts and/or nuts. Before tightening, adjust the LPR Unit to the final location. Caution – Do Not over tighten the bolts, 3-4 turns with a wrench will do.
h. The LPR Unit comes with 2 adhesive back foam pads. In some applications, these pads are to be placed on the back of the LPR license plate bracket to protect the bumper from rubbing.
i. If needed, moving the adjustable sensor cap on the right side of LPR unit, can adjust the license plate brackets deployment angle by 20 degrees.
7. Wiring the LPR Unit.
- Determine the 12-Volt power source you are going to use. (TEGO suggests running the LPR Unit straight to the vehicle’s battery). Other options may be available. PLEASE NOTE: for wiring to 12-Volt sources other than the battery, please consider the vehicle manufacturer’s warranty guidelines and restrictions.
- Navigate the LPR Wiring Harness from the LPR Unit or from the 12-Volt source, whichever option is easier. When navigating the LPR Wiring Harness avoid all moving parts, exhaust systems and cooling systems.
- The LPR Hardware Kit comes with all the necessary hardware to mount LPR Unit directly to the vehicle’s battery. If you choose an alternative 12-Volt option, you may be required to use hardware not supplied in the LPR Hardware Kit.
- Once the LPR Wiring Harness has been installed, use the lp-0023 plastic Loop Clamps to securely attach any exposed part of the wiring harness underneath the vehicle onto the splashguard.
- Attach the Black Negative (-) lead then the red positive (+) lead to the battery. Now simply plug the LPR Wiring Harness into the LPR Unit.
- If you use an alternative 12-Volt power source, it is imperative you have a good ground for the black negative (-) lead. A poor ground can cause a premature failure of the LPR Unit.
8. Connecting to SMART PHONE
- Go to iTunes or Google Play and download the “TEGO LPR” application
- Open Application
- While near vehicle, Tap Scan Button
- Select TEGO LPR device. If device has not been connected before:
- Tap +
- Enter provided passcode on sticker
- Tap Save
Note: Double Tapping the device in the list, allows for renaming of device to vehicle name.
Note II: Tap pencil button to change previously saved device passcode.
- Tap Connect button
- Tap Fob icon to start using device
Note: Tap Bluetooth icon to open back to main screen
Note II: If you want to connect to a different TEGO LPR, tap on Bluetooth/Connect icon, tap disconnect button, select new device, tap connect and continue working